What should readers be paying attention to as part of this peer review? 

• Where should they expand their analysis (if necessary), do they have enough analysis or is it more personal based?
  • Is their writing piece easy to understand, meaning when they are describing certain topics, is the audience confused on what they are trying to say?
  • Is there a clear concept?
  • Readers should pay attention to whether the writer fulfilled the question or prompt of the assignment was answered to the best of their ability.
  • I think what readers should focus on is how when they do the first draft listen to the people of what they are reading and know the mistakes therefore making the writer to fix the material to make it more readable and understandable.

Reading and Responding to the First Drafts in Your Small Group

Everyone will be reading and responding to the first drafts of the other members of your small group. What does this mean? What will it look like? Here are the steps you should take:

1. At the top of your own first draft, write a note at the top of your page to your readers. Where do you think this project is going? What kind of feedback would you like? What are the ways you think what you’re doing is meeting the criteria of the assignment? What are your worries with this project? And what do you feel the most excited about? 
  2. After you’ve written the note, send your Google doc via Slack to the people in your group with a note that says “my first draft is ready to read!” Make sure that the settings are such that readers can comment (set it so that people with the link can suggest or edit).  
  3. Once you’ve received a note that says an author’s first draft is ready to read, go ahead and read it. Then use the comments function to make your comments. You should have at least 3 on each paper in your group. Your comments should follow any of these models:
    1. “Here’s what I see you doing…” (a summary of what you see going on with the writing)
    1. “I’m excited about what you’re saying here because….”
    1. “I’m a little confused about this part because…”
    1. “I think this part has some potential to develop because…”
    1. “I see a connection to [some other part of the writing, some reading we’ve done in class, some discussion, something in my own life, something in my own zero draft]”
    1. “In response to your concern, I’m suggesting…”
    1. “I loved this part because…”
    1. “I totally agree with this previous comment because…”

You don’t have to use the exact wording but your comments should be responses to ideas. Be as specific and as helpful as you can. Don’t worry about grammar or spelling or anything at this point. 

• When you’re done reading the papers in your group, send a message to your group via Slack that says, “my comments are ready to read!”
  • When you receive comments from your group members, be sure to thank them. 

From assignment sheet:

Requirements

Your text should include:

1. An introduction of the literacy event, practice, or artifact that includes a vivid description (what it is, who is involved, what it’s like) and a clear statement of why you think it’s significant for further study
  2. Focused points on several aspects of what you’re studying where you can make connections between it and specific ideas in the texts for class. This means using some quotations from our class texts (readings, podcasts, videos). 
  3. A clear organization that follows the various points you want to make and creates a focused and cohesive project
  4. A conclusion that gives your readers a sense of the significance of what you’re studying and what questions you might still have
  5. An interesting title

Length: 1200-1500 words (equivalent of 5-6 pages without images). You are also welcome to do the equivalent with slides, video, audio or any other medium of your choosing.

Plus one single-spaced page of reflection on how the choices you made, including about the medium, helps you with the goals of your project. 

Draft of Assessment Rubric

(as a class, we will discuss this criteria and how it might be measured)

• Does the text have a clear focus?
  • Does the audience understand the literacy event, practice, or artifact that’s being studied and what its significance is? 
  • Do the language choices of the author match the project?
  • Does the project meet the requirements of the assignment?
  • Does it effectively engage the audience?